Railway Recruitment Board, initially was known as Railway Service Commission but in January 1985 it was renamed as Railway Recruitment Board. The major objectives of RRB are:
- Formulation of policy in regard to recruitment procedures.
- To monitor the activities of all Railway Recruitment Boards (RRBs) including expenditure incurred for recruitment.
- To evaluate the performance of Railway Recruitment Board and advise them on priorities as required.
- To organise a management information system for monitoring work done by Railway Recruitment Board.
- Railway Recruitment Board recruits Junior Engineer (JE), Junior Engineer (Information Technology) [JE(IT)], Depot Material Superintendent (DMS) and Chemical & Metallurgical Assistant (CMA) in 21 boards across the country through a separate exam - RRB JE.